Thursday, May 23, 2013

Project Progress-Master Bathroom: Painting the vanity tutorial

It's been so nice out lately that I have been distracted.  My master bathroom vanity has been sitting for days, waiting to be put back together, waiting for shiny new handles, and for her beauty shots to be taken and posted on the world wide web.  
 Today it is rainy and cold (again).  So, while my bathroom is far from finished, I thought I would tell you about how I took it from this
To this...(say it in a French accent)
Now, there are a lot of tutorials in the blog world, and I researched a lot of them (you should see my Pinterest page).
 Before I go on, a little background, ages ago I worked in a Benjamin Moore paint store for three and a half years. I was the wallpaper chic (dubbed by my co-worker) but I learned a lot about paint, adhesion, and the processes you need to go through in order to end up with a good strong finish.  I also have a grand sense of adventure when it comes to painting...after all it's just time and paint:) And for the record, in my painting experiences, I have yet to screw something up. whew.
 
I was told these cabinets could not be painted by anyone but a professional, because the finish is baked on in a factory.  I love it when people tell me I can't do something.  I just knew with the right products it could be done...by me...a mere mortal-non-professional-stay-at-home-painter.

I was using a primer that states you don't need to sand before you use it, but (and I admit it) I was a little nervous about this process.  So I sanded the doors and drawer fronts and the surrounding vanity.  I didn't sand a ton, because I am not a patient person and I wanted to see if this was going to work...
So I took these and applied the first coat of primer...
You might not be able to tell, but that is 1-2-3 Primer by Zinsser.  It is a bonding primer and I use it on everything I paint.
I used two coats of primer.  I started by rolling with a foam roller, but I didn't like the texture it was leaving behind, so I brushed it.  (LOVE Purdy 2 1/2 angled sash brush). Now I let it dry completely for two days before I started the painting process.  And to test that it worked I took my nail and tried to scratch some of the primer off of the side, where it's laminated (WHY do they do that?  Solid wood fronts and a fake side...like we aren't going to be able to see the difference. ) AND it didn't scratch off.  So I could move to the next step...Painting.
I prefer Satin Impervo.  It's oil based, which is super stinky, but it's really worth it in the end.  The finish is beautiful and practically indestructible.  Apply two to three coats, whichever you prefer.  Let it dry in between coats and you may want to give it a light sanding in between, but I didn't. (if you sand in between coats, you need to wipe with a tack cloth before you do your next coat)   Rule breaker...that's me. Not really, I follow the rules a lot, it's just impatience on my part. 
 After waiting 4-5 days (it takes longer to fully cure, but you can handle it carefully after about three days) it was time to put on the handles and knobs.  I purchased some plastic templates for $4 a piece from Lowe's (one for the doors and one for the drawers)  and started the process of figuring out where I wanted them to be placed.
Kim helping me find the center :)
 In the end I went with the drawer pulls attached higher.  I think it gives them a more polished look...what do you think?  

I still have several small projects to finish until it's all the way done and I can give you the grand reveal.  But for now, I am ecstatic about the results and am ready to tackle the kids bathroom, the powder room and the kitchen. Yeah!
Thanks for stopping by!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment